Elmwood is seeking a general Yard and Garden Support Worker with a safety-first attitude to join our team. This position will report to the Director of Support Services and assist in general yard and garden upkeep for our twelve Community Homes, and Kinsmen Manor. This is an ideal opportunity for anyone with entry level yard and garden experience looking to make a difference in the homes of those living with intellectual disabilities.
- Conduct general yard maintenance in a safe, timely and cost-efficient manner
- Perform general exterior repairs such as repair to fences and decks etc.
- Perform general yard maintenance to include weeding of flower beds, ensure weeding around each property is kept up, trimming of hedges, cleaning/organizing of outdoor buildings such as sheds, staining of decks and fences
- Establish a weekly watering schedule for each location, monitor to ensure sufficient watering is taking place
- Address yard maintenance requests received within a timely and satisfactory under the direction of the Director of Support Services
- Work collaboratively with the Director of Support Services to coordinate and implement routine visits to each community home to perform preventative maintenance and checks on yard maintenance
- Maintain an administrative log of all yard maintenance and repairs performed
- Routinely transport equipment and supplies to Elmwood properties as required
Please note that as this position is developmental, job duties are subject to change.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Ideal candidates would benefit from one years’ experience in general yard maintenance and repairs in a residential or commercial environment with knowledge of grounds keeping and the maintenance of outdoor spaces
- Possess up to date WHMIS (Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System) Certification and or have a willingness to obtain the required certifications
- You are a self-driven, safety-first focused individual with strong interpersonal skills with the ability to manage multiple projects while working alone or with little supervision
- Must be physically fit and able to handle various tasks involving lifting, bending, twisting, and climbing to safely conduct this role
- Must be flexible in schedule and have the ability to work occasionally outside normal business hours including weekends as required
- As required by the Canada Summer Jobs Grant: successful applicant must be between the ages of 15 and 30
- Final Candidates are required to provide satisfactory criminal record checks including a vulnerable sector search and a valid driver’s license with satisfactory drivers abstract
- Final candidates must have a safe and reliable vehicle to travel to Elmwood’s various residential locations. A fuel allowance in-line with the provincial allowances will be provided monthly.
This position is funded by the Canada Summer Jobs Grant and will commence from June 2023 until end of August 2023 and works 37.5hrs per week including occasional evenings and weekends. The starting salary for this role is $18.00 per hour.
To apply, please submit your resume to Rhonda Savage at firstname.lastname@example.org
Located in Saskatoon, Elmwood Residences Inc. is a Canadian Charitable Organization, Non-profit and Community-Based Organization (CBO) which provides support and services to over 120 individuals with intellectual disabilities. Elmwood operates eleven Community Homes, Kinsmen Manor and Saskatoon’s largest Supported Independent Living Program. Our mission is to provide individualized care and support that nurtures growth, well-being and belonging for people living with intellectual disabilities.
For more information on Elmwood, please visit www.elmwoodyxe.ca